October 9, 2010

The 5 Minute Check-up

Today, we go to the obstetrician for our first visit. Supposedly, the one we're going to is really good, which explains why so many people are there. We get there about 30 minutes before they open and then wait over an hour afterward before it's finally our turn.

The whole check-up process literally took less than 5 minutes. The doctor puts her on the bed, breaks out the sonogram, finds the little dot that's our baby, congratulates us, and sends us on our merry way. It was a wham, bam, thank-you mam if I've ever seen one.

Being the baby expert that I am, I've read that the first visit is one of the most important. The doctor tells you what you should be aware of and asks if you have any questions. We didn't get any of that. We had to literally hold the doctor back from leaving just so we could ask some really simple questions, all of which were hurriedly answered. In fact, the doctor disappeared so fast that we had to ask the nurse how old our baby is, which is 3 weeks, or 5 weeks if you're counting the 2 weeks before conception.

I'm not sure if this is typical of all baby doctors, but I wasn't very pleased with this experience. Sure, I can understand that the guy has a ton of patients waiting for him outside, but I couldn't give a monkey's left nut about them. I'm only concerned about my baby and what's best for him/her. Plus, I waited over a freaking hour and a half, only to see him for five minutes. Where's my return on investment?!

Jessie says to give the doctor another chance. We need to go again in three weeks. She says we'll go during the weekday next time when it hopefully won't be so crowded, and the doctor hopefully won't be so rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment