October 25, 2010

Walker, Texas Ranger

Now that we've finally started telling people that Jessie's pregnant, my attention has now turned to what to name the baby. You're probably thinking that I'm going to start listing a bunch of silly names, but for once, I shall try to be serious.

Last night, Jessie and I got to talking about balances in life. Balance between working and being a parent. Balance between school and extracurricular activities for our child. Balance between being a parent and a friend to our child. Balance between what we want and what our parents want.

And that got me thinking. How about naming our child after a name that means balance? After doing some research, I came across the name, Atalanta. It's from the Greek word, Atalante, which means "equal in weight." In Greek legend, Atalanta was the woman who refused to marry any man who couldn't beat her in a foot race. She was finally defeated by Hippomenes, who dropped three golden apples during the race, causing her to stop and pick them up and ultimately lose the race. They married and lived happily ever after. The end.

This Atalanta character seems like one tough cookie, but I always did like a good challenge. Unfortunately, I don't really like that name. It doesn't seem to roll off the tongue very easily. However, I did have a student once who was named Atalanta. Don't remember if she was well-balanced, though.

If all else fails, I suppose if we have a boy and girl, one can be called Yin, and the other, Yang. And if they're both boys, the obvious choice would be Walker and Texas Ranger. I love you, Chuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment