October 12, 2010

The Pooch

We go to Jessie's family's house for dinner. Jessie's brother and dad don't know yet that she's pregnant, so when we tell them, they congratulate us and her brother asks how many months pregnant she is. He was obviously referring to the fact that he thinks my wife has a pooch. I plead the 5th.

On the way back home, we stop by her cousin and nieces' house. We tell them the good news. One of her nieces says that she guessed my wife has been pregnant for a few months now and was wondering when we would finally tell them. 

Unfortunately for her, my wife is only 5 weeks pregnant! For crying out loud, it's only the start of the embryonic period. This is when the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart, and other organs begin to form. I demand an apology out of her. Just cause people think she has a bit of a pooch does not mean she's pregnant.

My wife recounts the time when she first started her new job and one of her co-workers approached her to ask if she was pregnant. This was about 3 months ago. At this, her other niece chimes in and confesses that she also thought my wife has been pregnant for awhile. I demand an apology out of her too.

Obviously, this visit isn't going smoothly, but my wife's taking it like the trooper she is. As with most women, my wife is concerned about weight gain, especially during pregnancy. I tell her not to worry. It just means there's more of her to love. And that's a good thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment