October 21, 2010

The Three Minute Check-up

Apparently, most people think like my wife and I. We thought we were being slick by going to see the baby doctor during the middle of the week. We figured there would be less people there because people have to work. Well, the losers turned out to be us. Little did we know there would be even more people there than on the weekend. Seems like everybody was trying to pull a quick one.

This time around, we had to wait almost 2 1/2 hours before seeing the doctor. And if last time's visit lasted 5 minutes, this time's visit clocked in at a blazing 3 minutes. Here's how the scene at the doctor's office played out.

Doctor: Alright, let's see if we can get a heartbeat.     
(Fiddles around with his ultrasound machine)
Doctor: Ah! There it is. You're 7 weeks pregnant now.
(Doctor exits)

Yup. That's seriously how it went. No celebratory high-five, not even a good-bye as he's leaving. According to my wife, the reason so many people come to see this doctor is because he's supposed to be good. Good at what? Good at having the shortest conversation and interaction time with patients out of any doctor? Sheesh!

How can a doctor run a clinic like this? I mean, let's say my wife and I don't know the first thing about being pregnant. Isn't the doctor supposed to be the one that provides us with the information we need? He didn't even ask if we had any questions or concerns. Does he just assume we'll go off and find the answers we need by ourselves? Or perhaps, he's too scared of the fact that he can't answer our questions.

For instance, does he know what percentage of pregnant women have twins? I do, but I bet he doesn't. About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins. This rate is an increase of nearly 60% since the early 1980s. However, 17% of pregnant women over 45 will give birth to twins. 

Thank goodness there's at least one real baby expert around here. And yes, I do mean myself. I don't know what we'd do without my vast resource of knowledge.

On our way back home, the wife is a bit upset and keeps saying how she wished the doctor would have said more. I said we could do some role-playing. I could be her and she could be the doctor. Then she could say all the things she wished the doctor would have said. 

Our little role-play lasts well over 10 minutes, and she feels a bit better after having talked things through. Take that, you crappy baby doctor!

I then suggested that we could continue our role-playing back at home, but this time, I could play the sick patient and she could play the hot nurse...

No comments:

Post a Comment