October 16, 2010

Salads, TV Remotes, and High Blood Pressure


The wife is always telling people I have high blood pressure. I don't. Sure, every now and then it might dip towards the high end, but for the most part, it's average. But for some reason, she seems to get joy out of telling people that I do. Let me give you a few examples.

Mom: How does the salad I made taste?
Jessie: Edward has high blood pressure.
Mom: Uhh, so...does that mean the salad tastes good or bad?

Sister: Could you hand me the TV remote?
Jessie: Edward has high blood pressure,
Sister: Wha-? I said to hand me the TV remote.
Jessie: And I said that Edward has high blood pressure.
Sister: Forget it. I'll get it myself.

Ok, so maybe I sort of exaggerated the conversations a bit, but they're not too far from the truth. You get general the picture.

Anyway, today, there was a health fair at the school I teach at, and I decided to get my blood pressure checked out. It was 129/83. I conferred with the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute clinical guidelines and research studies, which states that high blood pressure is considered to be 140/90 or higher. Bam! Once and for all, I don't have high blood pressure! In your face!

My wife, on the other hand, has low blood pressure. However, she could develop high blood pressure during pregnancy. This is a condition known as gestational hypertension. Just edifying your life with a little baby knowledge. You're welcome as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment