January 20, 2011

Pros and Cons

Jessie: Let’s talk.
Me: Man, will you look at the time! I think it’s time to go to bed.
Jessie: (In a threatening tone) Excuse me?
Me: Just kidding! (Nervously chuckles)
Jessie: I was thinking about whether I should have a natural birth or a C-section.
Me: I think a natural birth would be best.
Jessie: That’s because you’re not the one experiencing all the pain.
Me: Well, I read that you should try to have the first child by natural birth.
Jessie: Don’t you know that there are a lot of complications associated with natural births?
Me: Wait a minute. Weren’t you the one just a few hours ago that was trying to convince your friend to have a natural birth and not a C-section?
Jessie: Yea…but I…you see…
Me: Hah! I got you! Whelp, that’ll be the end of this discussion. Good night!
To help the wife along in this decision making, I’ve made a quick chart, listing the pros and cons of natural birth and cesarean section.


NATURAL BIRTH

PROS
CONS
Little chance for harm or side effects to the mother and the baby
Pain and lots of it
No loss of sensation or alertness

It’s hard work
Baby won’t have to process drugs that pass through the placenta
Loss of sexual pleasure after birth
Sense of empowerment and accomplishment
Having to enlarge the vagina by cutting it

Pelvic floor dysfunctions, including leaking urine, gas, and a sagging of internal organs


CESEREAN SECTION

PROS
CONS
Can be a life-saver for women who can’t give birth naturally
A huge-ass scar
Baby doesn’t go through the stress of natural birth
Longer hospital stay and recovery time
Less pain during birth
Risks associated with surgery


Feelings of not being as connected with your child

Baby may be cut during the surgery


Baby more likely to develop respiratory problems

Well, after making that chart, a natural birth and cesarean section both seem to be a pretty scary ordeal to me now. However, the 70% of women who elect to have a natural birth can’t be wrong. I think we should jump on the bandwagon!

No comments:

Post a Comment