January 17, 2011

A Helping Hand

Jessie: There’s a sharp pain in my lower abdominal region.
Me: Let’s go to the doctor.
Jessie: I’m not sure if I need to. I’ll wait and see if it goes away.
Me: OK.

(A few minutes later)

Jessie: It still really hurts.
Me: Then I’ll take you to the doctor and we’ll see what’s wrong. Better safe than sorry.
Jessie: But I don’t know if I should go or not.
Me: I think you should.
Jessie: Yea, but I don’t feel like going all the way to the doctor’s.
Me: It’s not a big deal. I don’t mind driving.
Jessie: I can’t decide.
Me: Then I’ll decide for you. Let’s go.
Jessie: I don’t know why I talk to you sometimes. You’re never of any help.
Me: ???

Since the wife won’t go to the doctor’s, I’ve decided to weigh-in on the problem she’s having. Starting in the second trimester, many pregnant women will commonly experience a brief sharp, stabbing pain or a prolonged dull ache. This is known as round ligament pain. 

Round ligaments surround the uterus in the pelvis. As the fetus is developing, the ligaments stretch and thicken to accommodate it and to help support the uterus. The changes occurring to the ligaments result in sharp pains to both sides of the lower abdomen. Pregnant women experience this primarily when they suddenly change positions, like getting out of the bathtub, getting out of bed, or even coughing.

To help relieve this discomfort, it’s recommended that you find a comfortable resting position and relax. Raising your knees to your abdomen can also help decrease any pains as well as lying on your side with a pillow tucked between your legs for support.

There. Was I of more help now?

No comments:

Post a Comment