November 12, 2010

Man-up

Yesterday, Jessie and I are having a normal conversation when out of the blue, she makes the random statement that she doesn’t think I like babies very much. Ouch. That’s not very nice. Now why would you want to go and ruin an otherwise peaceful evening? You ought to know nothing good could come out of saying something like that. Then, for good measure, she goes on to say she doesn’t think I’ll be good with our baby. Well, thanks for that confidence booster. You really have a way with words.

She said since I never really seem to care too much for other people’s babies, that probably means I won’t care too much for our baby either. Fair enough assumption, but exactly how many men do you know that go ga-ga over a baby that's not theirs or related to them? Exactly. I’m guessing your mind’s drawing a blank.

She’s right on some levels though. I admit I’m really not that interested in other people’s babies.  As far as entertainment values go, they don’t do much besides lie there and poop. I’ll give them a poke in the belly and a pat on the head, and that’s about it. At least with kids, I can play and converse with them.  

But the main reason I’m not that interested is because they’re not mine. Obviously, if the baby were mine, I’d have a vested interest in them. And of course I’d spend all my time and energy on them to make sure I’m caring for them in the right way.

It’s a lot of responsibility, but I think I’m making steps toward that direction. Ever since Jessie got pregnant, I’ve shouldered most of the household responsibilities. I’ll do the dishes, wash, hang and fold the clothes, prepare the food, take out the garbage, and clean the house. I don’t want her straining herself too much. I’m happy to do these things so she can take it easy. If I’m willing to do all these things for her, wouldn’t I be willing to do even more for our child?

The most important thing is I believe in myself and my abilities regardless of what people think or see. However, the wife thinks I just run my mouth way too much with not much coming out. She says, "Stop saying and start doing." Well, hurry up and have the baby so I can start doing! Actually, I take that back. Don't hurry, take your full 40 weeks. I don't want a half-formed baby with an embryonic tail still hanging on.

No comments:

Post a Comment