November 25, 2010

Jean-Claude Van Awesomeness

Since yesterday’s joke didn’t seem to pick up your mood, maybe this next bit of awesome news will dropkick you out of funky town. I just read that movie and fighting legend, Jean-Claude Van Damme, has announced he is returning to his roots, ala Frank Duks, to fight in a kickboxing match with former Olympian Somluck Kamsing. 

Here’s a fine example of a role model I’d like my kids looking up to, besides Chuck, Seagal, and myself. Since the 1990’s, he’s been battling an addiction to cocaine and alcohol. Nobody’s perfect (except Chuck Norris) and that’s something I want my kids to understand about people. However, do you use that as a crutch and excuse, or do you use it as motivation to make yourself into a better person?

In his interview, Van Damme acknowledges his “rock and roll” lifestyle and regrets it. Obviously, I don’t want my kids looking up to or turning out to be junkies or alcoholics, and Van Damme realizes this, as he says he has a social responsibility to all the kids that have a Blood Sport or Kickboxer poster on their wall to right his wrongs. 

Whoa, wait a minute there. We’re in the new millennia now. Shouldn’t kids be hanging up posters of your more recent, blockbuster movies like The Hard Corps, The Shepherd: Border Patrol, or my personal favorite, Wake of Death? I’ll let this oversight of his slide. 

He goes on to say how this kickboxing match will show the kids that “they’ll fight in my heart.” That the parents who told their kids Van Damme is freaking awesome weren't wrong. The interview was actually quite touching. I admire people with this kind of quality. That never say die attitude. People who are down, but not out for the count. 

I want to instill this into our children. I believe I have that quality in me. The wife refers to it as stubbornness.

No comments:

Post a Comment