May 2, 2011

One Ring to Rule Them All

Unsatisfied by recent name options I’ve given Jessie, I messaged her this morning and told her that I liked the name Olivia. She responds back and tells me that it is a cute name. A few minutes later, she asks what an elf army is. Elf army? What does Olivia and an elf army have to do with anything? Apparently a lot. 

It turns out that the name Olivia means "elf army." I don’t even know what to say about this except for the fact that it reeks of awesomeness! While most children’s names have ho-hum meanings such as ‘peace’ or ‘beauty’ or ‘flower blossom,’ I don’t think too many people can lay claim to their baby’s name meaning elf army and then proceed to give the other speechless parents a detailed rundown of the history of Middle-earth Elves, the many valiant battles they’ve fought, including the epic Battle of Helm’s Deep in The Lord of the Rings, and how our Elven daughter can kick any of their kids’ asses since she is more quick-footed and agile than the common man.  

 
And the topping on the cake is that our daughter’s middle name can be Arwen, in honor of Arwen Undómiel, the youngest child of Elrond, Lord of Rivendell. Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about. Liv Tyler? Hugo Weaving?



No comments:

Post a Comment