May 30, 2011

Check-list

 
With the birth of Caitlyn Olivia quickly approaching, Jessie asked me to make sure I had everything prepared for labor and delivery. Here’s a quick run-through of my check-list for dads.

  1. Attend prenatal appointments: Check. While I haven’t been able to attend most of the prenatal appointments towards the end of Jessie’s pregnancy, I was fortunate enough to go at the beginning and middle to help support the wife and ask questions.
  2. Take childbirth classes: Check. Even though I was thoroughly disappointed with the childbirth classes we took, reading and studying up on my own time have more than made up for them.
  3. Know the route: Check. We’ve driven to and from the hospital a few times now and I have a pretty good grasp on how to get there. At the very least, if for whatever reason that I may get lost, I still have GPS at my side.
  4. Prepare a birthplan: Check. Jessie and I have discussed what we expect when she gives birth. There’s to be no picture or video taking. (‘No’ means ‘yes,’ right?) Also, if she’s in so much pain that she needs and epidural, I’m to let her have it. And we’ve made a pact not to tell my mom, who’s against it. Shh…
  5. Tour the hospital: Check. During one of the childbirth classes, part of the time was spent touring the hospital. I’m not pulling a Nick Cannon. No guessing we’re I’m supposed to take the wife. To the 9th floor!
  6. Pack a bag for hospital stay: Check. Jessie did this one all by herself. I’m so proud of her!
  7. Join a dad’s group: Check. I’m part of two online dad’s group. Three if you want to count the one I started, which still stands at one member – me.

No comments:

Post a Comment