May 26, 2011

Cracking the Code

Often times, I will go into a baby or pregnancy forum to seek out advice or find answers to questions I might have. As I read through some of the posts, they almost seem to be written in a foreign language.

“I have been TTC. I’ve used an OPK to help determine the best time. DH and I have been BD 5 times a week. So today, when I POAS, I hope to get a BFP, so I can stop buying HPTs.”

What is this? The military?! What gives with all the acronyms? In the beginning, I would try to guess what the posters were saying, but eventually, even I had to admit defeat. I'd finally have to cheat and do a search for pregnancy acronyms.

What is the point of these acronyms anyways? Obviously, they save the writer a lot of time, but cost uniformed readers like me a lot of time trying to decipher the meanings. It’s almost like a secret society where only the insiders know what’s being said, and unless you are part of the initiated, you might as well hit the road.

I remember the first time I was introduced to acronyms such as LOL and BRB. It was in college and I was chatting with a friend. When he used these acronyms, I thought he was actually writing a word and foolishly, I would try to pronounce them phonetically. Lol? Brb? What does that mean?

Of course, I didn’t want to seem uneducated, so I didn’t say anything about it. But soon, more and more people began using them, along with other acronyms, and finally, I had to break down and ask someone what they meant. I felt like the uncoolest kid on the block. Everyone knew the latest slang, and here I was, left behind in the dust.

Since then, I’ve probably only added a few more acronyms to my mental dictionary, ROFLOL, TTYL, STFU, and WTF. After that, it just becomes a guessing game. Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer the proper way of writing things out. It may take away more of my time, but I’m sure my readers are all the more grateful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment