February 2, 2011

The Yes Mam


Trying to be a polite, perfect daughter-in-law is coming back to haunt Jessie. Whenever my mother asks her to do something, she rarely refuses because she thinks it would be rude. My mom’s not exactly a slave driver, so things aren’t actually so bad. 

Jessie doesn’t want my mom to come with us to the doctor’s for out 21-week check-up because she has a lot of health concerns she wants to discuss with the doctor and doesn’t want my mother knowing and worrying about them. 

I can understand where she’s coming from because my mom is a worrier just like the wife. My mom’s health isn’t exactly great, so to give her an extra added burden to worry about wouldn’t be right. But when my mom asked the wife if it was OK for her and my dad to come along, she cheerfully, though reluctantly said yes.

Later, she came up with a plan to tell my mom that the doctor’s office is very small and cramped, so while yes, it’s OK for them to come, it probably wouldn’t be ideal. Plus, the wait would be long too. 

I felt a little guilty about this because this is going to be their first grandchild and it would definitely suck for them to miss out on seeing the baby on the ultrasound. Obviously, I was to be the bearer of bad news because the wife didn’t want to ruin her squeaky clean, daughter-in-law image.

Being the semi-obedient husband that I am, I followed through with the plan. Surprisingly, my mom didn’t seem to mind and understood our reasoning. I felt bad about disappointing my mom, but good about listening to the wife, thinking she would praise me for doing what she asked.

Nope. Not the case. She apparently had a change of heart and didn’t bother to tell me. Great! I asked if I should tell my mom that it’s OK for her to come again, but Jessie decided since I already told her not to come, we might as well stick to it. That wasn’t a good idea.

When we went out to eat with Jessie’s family, her mom asked my mom if she was excited about going with us to the doctor for the check-up. (Apparently she didn’t get the memo not to ask that question.) My mom said that she wasn’t going and Jessie’s mom looked completely shocked. 

Needless to say, Jessie was rather embarrassed and told my mom that we would love her to come. And in the end, she had nothing to worry about because the check-up was completed without a hitch.

Hopefully, this episode will make the wife think twice before doing something. Then again, that would just cause her to over-think even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment