February 6, 2011

Right Again

Me: Your skin has been looking rather pale. I thought the skin is supposed to be a lot more radiant when you’re pregnant.
Jessie: No, you’re supposed to look paler because all of your blood is going to the baby.
Me: Hmm…

I didn’t really buy into her explanation, but it was bedtime, and really didn’t want to get into a discussion over it and risk spending the night on the couch. That would be especially awkward, considering my parents are still here staying with us. 

Dad: Hey, what are you doing out on the couch?
Me: Uh, well, have you noticed yet how comfortable this couch is? It’s definitely got some quality springs and cushioning in it. It’s good for my bad back. Plus, I figured I’d be a gentleman and give Jessie some more room to sleep on in the bed.
Dad: Got kicked out of the bedroom, eh?
Me: Yea.
Dad: Stay strong, son. Stay strong.

As it turns out (not surprisingly), I’m correct and the skin is supposed to look a lot more radiant during pregnancy because of increased blood circulation (around 50% more) and higher levels of estrogen. Of course, not every woman is so lucky and the increase in hormones can cause problems such as acne. 
The wife’s pale skin is obviously not due to lack of blood as she had previously said. More than likely, it’s due to an iron deficiency. 

A lot of people out there, including my wife, probably think I’m constantly out to prove her wrong, but that’s not the case. If someone says something that’s not true, wouldn’t want to set the facts straight for them? I’m trying to be the Good Samaritan, not the dastardly Jewish teacher.

It’s like the time Jessie told me that Sarah Jessica Parker paid someone to be the surrogate mother for her baby. In the wife’s opinion, this was very vain of her. She thought Sarah Jessica Parker didn’t want to have the baby herself because she didn’t want to get fat and go through the pains of pregnancy.

However, I found out that she did previously have another baby naturally with husband, Matthew Broderick, and the only reason she hired a surrogate mother was because she wasn’t able to conceive again. 

I quickly set the record straight with the wife. I mean, after all, we wouldn’t want our baby growing up in a world where the information she receives is wrong, would we? Do you actually think Harvard would accept our daughter if she told them that 2 + 2 = 5? This is exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment