April 10, 2011

Childbirth Class

 
The one thing that I feel like I’m being short-changed out of during this whole pregnancy experience is childbirth classes. In every movie about pregnant women, they always show scenes of them in some sort of baby class. The classes seem fun and interesting. 

The first baby class Jessie and I went to was not a pleasant experience. It was more like a college lecture. It was held in the hospital’s auditorium with over 100 other expecting parents and a lecturer up front giving a PowerPoint presentation. 

Where are the hands-on activities? Don’t they know the quickest way to get people to fall asleep is with a boring lecture? I want to swaddle a plastic doll, dangit! Everything they said was something that I already knew. I don’t need any more information; I need first-hand experience now.

That’s why I was excited for today, because we were attending another baby class. The class was supposedly going to teach us how to bathe our baby. This one will be important because the wife has said she’s too scared to handle the baby during bath time, so the duty will fall upon my shoulders. 

However, when we get there, it seems like yet another lecture-type class, though a bit smaller with around 50 people crammed into a small room. In addition, this isn’t a class about bathing a baby, it’s about simple exercises a pregnant woman can do. Except the person leading the class is wearing a blouse, skirt, and high heel shoes and can only half demonstrate the moments because she's hindered by her clothing.

I guess I should have listened to the wife when she said this one was going to be a snoozer. Within minutes, I was already nodding off to sleep. Perhaps the third class we try will be the charm?

No comments:

Post a Comment