March 13, 2011

Super Nanny to the Rescue

After hearing Jessie go on about who she deems as bad kids, I had to set the record straight with her as to what constitutes as a bad kid. Teaching for four years at a low socio-economic school makes me an automatic expert in this area. A little crying and whining makes a kid bad? Hah!

Back when I was still teaching at my former school, I would watch two shows, Nanny 911 and Super Nanny, to help me figure out ways to best control my students. The premise of these two shows was that a nanny would go to a new household each week that had out-of-control kids and help the parents get them under control. These kids were about as bad as they came. Hitting, cursing, yelling, back-talking, running around wild, you know name, they did it. Perfect for my situation. 

I downloaded the shows and made Jessie watch them with me. She was immediately horrified and appalled at how out of control the children on the show were. She gained a greater appreciation for the kids that she had once labeled bad. They now seemed like perfect angels compared to the children on the show.  

As long as our kids don’t qualify to be on Nanny 911 and Super Nanny, I’ll deem our parenting skills a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment