March 8, 2011

Crazy for Stuffed Animals

So far, I’ve gotten a play mat, rocker, and a crib mobile for our baby. Next up on my list are stuffed animals! I’ve found two that I really like and have already given them names. There’s an alligator that I want to call Rory the Alligator and a bunny I want to call Funkee Bunnee.

Stuffed animals have always held a soft spot in my heart. Back when I was a kid, my mom would take me to the arcades and we would play the game where you drop the crane and try to grab a stuffed animal. My mom used to be a pro at this and thus, my closet was full of them. 

In college, I moved on to Beanie Babies. This was about the time the craze was at its height and I seriously thought they would be the next big thing to invest in. Therefore, I diligently got up in the wee hours of the morning to stand in line with moms and their daughters at the toy store, hoping to get the latest Beanie Baby before it got sold out. 

All my money went towards buying these things. Once, I had spent all my laundry money for the month on them, so I had to resort to going commando for a good two weeks before finally receiving more money from my parents.

Beanie Babies were my drugs of choice. I had to have them. There was the time where I signed up for an experimental drug treatment to earn a little side money. And in the final two months one semester, I sold all my college textbooks so I could get some extra money to buy more. Studying? Psshh…who needs that. My little stuffed animals were going to make me rich! 

Of course, they’re now lying in boxes in the attic, completely worthless. However, on a positive note, my daughter now has enough stuffed critters to last her a lifetime. That helps ease some of the pain at the thought of how much money I spent on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment