June 6, 2011

The Pre-Game Show

Apparently, there was some confusion over the title I chose for my previous post. Some readers thought that it was a post about baby Caitlyn being born. I apologize for making you read through the whole thing before realizing there was no grand finale.

When Jessie does go into actual labor and does give birth, I shall use the non-confusing titles, “Jessie is in Labor,” and “Baby Caitlyn has been Born.” There won’t be any half-guesses as to what those posts will be about.

To make it up to any of those who felt cheated out of their time, I’m putting up a picture of Jessie with our newly installed cowmooflage car seat. The picture was taken after we went out for a short walk. I was surprised she offered very little resistance when I told her to pose with the car seat. Maybe she was tired and figured it would just be easier to comply with me so she could get some air conditioning quicker, or maybe she’s starting to enjoy being the center of attention!


Before trying to install it, I was extremely worried about the task because I had read countless numbers of posts about how confusing and difficult it is to install a car seat. Even a quick flip through the lengthy and wordy user manual made me lose whatever enthusiasm I had started out with. But thankfully, installing the car seat was actually pretty easy. I have to admit I did a pretty good job of it. That thing isn’t budging an inch.

Now that apologies are out of the way, I was awaken again by Jessie this morning at 4 am. She’s having contractions and has been timing them with a contraction app I downloaded for her on the iPhone. I take a look at them and they seem to be more legitimate than her 15 minute contractions that she was having last night. These are lasting around 40-50 seconds and are roughly spaced 10 minutes apart.

However, I’m still not convinced we need to be rushing over to the hospital as she’s wanting to do. I believe she’s having Braxton Hicks contractions. These contractions usually precede actual contractions and the purpose of them is to help prepare the body for labor. Many people call Braxton Hicks contractions, “false” labor contractions because they lead many women, such as the wife, to think they’re going into actual labor.

To make sure, I ask her to walk around while she’s having one of her contractions. Her pain lessens. True labor pain won’t be shrugged off so easily. Jessie’s contractions are also felt primarily in her abdominal region. True labor contractions generally start in the lower back and move to the front of the abdomen. All these increase the likelihood that Jessie’s having Braxton Hicks contractions.

I tell her my opinion about how she’s experiencing a false labor, and it doesn’t sit well with her. She angrily says I’m not her and don’t know what she’s feeling. Yes, that is true. But that might be a good thing because someone needs to be the rational, level-headed one here.


I tell her to keep recording her contractions. As each hour passes by, the contractions become shorter and more time elapses between each one. Looks like we’ve got some more waiting to do before actual labor arrives.

Jessie: Oh, these contractions are painful! Now I know what pain is.
Mom: Uh, you haven’t even begun to experience pain yet.
Jessie: ….

No comments:

Post a Comment