September 13, 2011

Pool Party!

On Friday, I saw a Youtube video of a baby swimming around in a bathtub with an inner tube that’s designed to go around the neck. It was one of the cutest and coolest things I’ve seen. So, of course I had to go get one for Caitlyn that very same day.

It reminded me of all the years of swimming I did when I was a kid in the community swimming league. It also reminded me that I need to start early with my child, otherwise she might turn out like the wife, who doesn’t know how to swim.

The only problem was that we have no bathtub in our apartment, only a shower. This led me to buy and drag home a very large, industrial-sized garbage can. And this in turn led Jessie to stare at me stupidly when I proudly showed her what I was going to have Caitlyn swimming in. I guess bringing home a garbage can for your daughter to swim in isn’t exactly a common thing to do.

Unfortunately, my plan was thwarted when the inner tube’s diameter was actually larger than the garbage can. The wife helpfully suggested I get an inflatable pool instead, which actually wasn’t a bad idea.

Therefore, I went back to the grocery store, returned the garbage can and picked up an inflatable pool. The only downside was that the inflatable pool was a bit on the shallow side. The reason I got the garbage can in the first place was so that it would be deep enough for Caitlyn to kick her feet around in. But there were no other containers that were wide enough to fit the inner tube, so inflatable pool it was.

When I came back home with my new toy and promptly began pumping air into the 4 feet wide pool, the wife had another stupefied look on her face. Apparently, when she told me to get an inflatable pool, she had something smaller, more apartment-friendly in mind. Sorry, bub. There was only one size.

I need take a moment right now to thank Jessie’s sister for having the foresight to design a bathroom big enough to fit my inflatable pool. Otherwise, seeing our baby frolic around happily in the pool wouldn’t have been possible.

Since the pool required a lot of water to fill up, I decided to be eco-conscious and re-use the water for my own bath. I tried to get the wife to jump on-board, but she balked at my idea. I told her this was how people back in the 1800’s used to do it. Family members would take turns using the same bath to conserve water. I even offered to let her go first, but I suppose some people prefer to put themselves first before Mother Earth.

In the end, we decided to let Caitlyn use the pool once a week. It makes for a lovely decorative piece in the bathroom whenever we’re not using it. And the best part is, the inflatable pool was cheaper than the garbage can! Go figure.

Test run in the baby tub
She likes it!



Graduating to the inflatable pool
Playing on her activity mat

Hanging out in her stroller
Posing with Mommy at the park

No comments:

Post a Comment