June 11, 2012

Sick Again

This past Friday night, my parents arrived from the States to visit their grandkid. That meant toys, books, and lots of clothes (Carter’s, of course) for the baby. However, Caitlyn couldn’t really enjoy anything because the next morning, she woke up with a stuffy and runny nose. Every time she sneezed, she would blow out long, stringy trails of snot. Not a great way to greet the grandparents.

As a result, she became clingier and whinier than usual. Two popular ways that I read about to help alleviate her stuffy and runny nose was to put a warm, moist cloth to her nose or to suction out the mucus. Neither one worked with much success. I wouldn’t be surprised if my parents are already regretting that this is going to be a two-month stay instead of a one-day trip.

The biggest problem came when it was nap time and bed time. Caitlyn still uses a pacifier to help her fall asleep, but because of her stuffy and runny nose, she couldn’t breathe while sucking on her pacifier. This upset her greatly and instead of immediately falling asleep like she usually does, it was taking well over an hour.

To compensate for not being able to breathe through her nose, Caitlyn would hold her breath and suck on her pacifier for a few seconds before stopping to take a deep breath before continuing. It was a laborious process, and even I started holding my own breath along with her just so I could share in her agony. In the end, she would eventually get too tired from doing this and from crying and would finally fall asleep without her pacifier. Perhaps this is a good opportunity to finally wean her off it.

The silver lining in all this is that Caitlyn has been rather accepting of my mom and dad. Maybe she still remembers them from their last visit, or maybe she has actually been paying attention during those weekly Facetime chats on the iPhone. Either way, my dad has been able to take her on short trips outside by himself and even keeps commenting on how well the baby behaves when the wife isn’t around. I’m sure she’s probably tired of hearing about it, but the truth’s the truth!

Raise your hand if you
hate being sick!

I can't smell the fresh air!




What could this be?
Let's see what the card says
 
Yippee! More clothes to wear!
I'm gonna beat this cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment