June 15, 2012

Say, "Cheese!"

One of the first things I did when I found out that the wife was pregnant was to get a new camera. I wanted to make sure I had a quality camera that could capture everything.

But it was a tough call between a regular point and shoot camera and a DSLR. Point and shoots are nice because they’re simple to use and convenient to carry around, but the quality can be pretty bad in low lighting. DSLR’s are nice because they take great pictures and you have a lot more control over the features, but they are super bulky, expensive, and not very convenient to use when you’re chasing after a baby.

Unfortunately, my usual thorough research and decision-making failed me, and for some unknown reason, I purchased a mega-zoom camera. It had the build and bulk of a DSLR, but with the photo quality that accompanied a point and shoot camera. A horrible, horrible combination.

Having a baby that doesn’t walk yet means we’re going to be spending most of our time indoors. And unfortunately, regular digital cameras like my mega-zoom camera don’t take great shots indoors with poor lighting. If our baby was able to sit super still for photos, then I suppose it wouldn’t be all that bad, but she doesn’t, so the majority of pictures taken indoors are blurred and unusable.

Since I knew my parents were coming for a two-month visit this time and we would probably be taking a few family trips together, I figured it was time to trade in the camera for something more worthwhile. I’ve been wanting to buy a new camera for a long, long time now, but the expensive price tag and the fact that my camera really isn’t that old or broken has prevented me from doing so. But I figure two years is a long enough wait. After all, my patience can only stretch so far.

This time around, I knew better than to look at point and shoot cameras and instead focused on DSLR’s and the smaller mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras. After weeks of reading up on camera reviews, I finally settled on the Nikon 5100 and bought one a few days ago. It’s moderately priced, is user-friendly, and the photos turn out great.

And if the wife’s agitation at me constantly snapping pictures of her and the baby is any indication, this camera was definitely a good buy. I suppose I can always get used to the weight and bulk. If anything, it’ll be a good workout for my arms.

This is my happy face
This is my silly face
 
This is my cute face
Clap your hands!
 
Yee-haw!
Hiya, Daddy!
 
Picking Grandpa's nose
Time to wake up!
 
Quick break
Mommy's helper
 
Hey, Grandpa!
All smiles
 
Duh!
Pooped




Good times
Crystal clear shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment