February 16, 2012

A Valentine's Day Surprise

My parent’s visit has finally come to an end with them leaving early this morning. To show her appreciation for all they’ve done for her, Caitlyn decided to give them a farewell present. While the wife and I went to take care of some business at the bank and post office yesterday, Caitlyn happily stayed at home with the grandparents for over an hour. Wowo!

So, apparently hope is not all lost with our little one. It just takes about a month. And with his mission finally accomplished, my dad can go home with his dignity still intact.

Recently, the wife stated that she wished she could have eight uninterrupted hours of sleep. That gave me an idea for a Valentine’s Day surprise – booking a weekend getaway by herself at a hotel so she could relax without having to deal with the baby.

My main criterion was that it had to have a TV in the bathroom so she could have some entertainment while having a soak. It took two days of searching and deliberation before I finally settled on my selection – a very nice, chic, modern 5-star hotel for Saturday night. The deer head that’s mounted on the wall in the lobby was what sealed the deal for me. Now that’s what I call classy.

I haven’t gone out and done a poll or anything, but I’m assuming that most women would be ecstatic over a gift like this. Who wouldn't like a little r&r? However, this is the wife we’re talking about and I had a good hunch that she wouldn’t be so keen about my little surprise.

Sure enough, she goes off about how we still have a lot to do like buying furniture and packing our things before we move to our new apartment next Saturday, how she’ll keep worrying about the baby when she’s gone, how she’s afraid of staying at a hotel by herself, and how I never discuss things with her before making plans like this.

Of course, knowing the kind of reaction she would have, I already had my responses ready to go. First, we still have two weeks to pack. I can slowly pack things at night when the baby’s asleep. Second, we can go to IKEA this Friday to buy furniture, and have it shipped to and assembled at our new place Saturday morning. Third, she needs to get used to not having the baby constantly at her side and have faith in my babysitting skills. Fourth, she can take a friend, her mom, or her sister to the hotel with her if she’s scared. Fifth, there’s a reason it’s called a surprise.

However, none of my answers seemed to calm her worries. She insisted that I cancel the reservation or see if we could take a rain check on it or at the very least, have us all stay in the hotel. I stubbornly refused to budge. After all, this is for her own good. Call it an intervention. She’s been running herself ragged taking care of the baby and playing host to my parents. She really needs some time to recoup.

This just made her more upset and she accused me of always trying to force her into doing things she didn’t want to do. Uh, you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t feel sorry for you, but it’s not like I’m forcing you to eat broccoli or kill someone. I’m asking you to go to a nice hotel (with a deer head mounted on the wall of the lobby) so you can relax. Is it really that hard to say, “Wow! Thanks for the awesome surprise! I can’t wait to go and see the deer head mounted on the wall!”

So, the question remains, will she go or not? I suppose we’ll all find out together on Saturday! How exciting!

Working on her crawling skills
Great posture!
 
Trying to do a headstand?
Showing off her skills to Mommy




Quality time with Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment