June 29, 2013

Coming to America

Ready or not, America, here we come! Tomorrow will be Caitlyn’s first trip to America and my first in about 4 years. I have no idea how she’ll fair on such a long trip, but it should make for an interesting post later. We’ll be making a short enough flight from Taipei to Japan first, and then a doozy of a 12 hour flight to Houston for a 3 week visit.

We’ve got snacks, coloring books, sticker books, song books, along with the always trusty iPad filled with videos and games to hopefully keep her busy and happy. Personally I don’t see how people do it. I’ve seen friends with kids younger than Caitlyn take overseas trips. Why would you want to do that to yourself unless you’re a glutton for pain and suffering? I don’t think I have the kind of testicular fortitude to try it with a baby less than two. No wonder airlines offer free tickets for children under two. It's called compensation.

It will be interesting to see how Caitlyn reacts when she’s no longer around people who look like her. I have a friend who is black, who said I needed to slowly acclimate Caitlyn to people of color by showing her videos or books that have black people in them so I wouldn’t traumatize her for life when Caitlyn meets her and other black friends for the first time.

While this is sound advice, I admit that I did not have time to show her classics like “The Color Purple,” “Friday,” or “Big Momma’s House,” read “Little Bill,” or share one of my all-time favorite shows, “That’s So Raven.” However, she does love watching these Mother Goose music videos on Youtube that has a black actress dressed as a teddy bear. Does that count?

Anyway, I know Grandpa and Grandma have been counting the months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds until their precious little angel arrives. They’ve already stocked the house full of toys and even told us not to bring any of her clothes as they plan on taking her on a huge shopping spree. I’m pretty certain the wife wants a few shopping sprees of her own as well. Me? Just give me some of that Texas bbq and country cooking and I’m good to go!


Check me in!
Are those presents for me?
 
Can I come too?
Here I come Grandpa and Grandma!


No comments:

Post a Comment