May 14, 2012

unHappy Mother's Day

Mother’s Day is all about honoring the person who gave you life, and in my case, the one who gave our daughter life. Given that this would be the wife’s first Mother’s Day, I figured we should do something special, but she insisted that this wasn’t necessary, because anything we did would just be interrupted by the baby. Besides, it would be crowded at the restaurants. All she wanted for a present was some money to buy clothes and shoes. Simple enough.

However, I still insisted on taking her out to dinner, where as usual, she ate first while I pushed a crying baby around outside and then switched places when she was done. Afterwards, with the baby asleep in the stroller, the wife went to go do some clothes shopping while I went with the baby to the bookstore.

It wasn’t but about 15 minutes later that Caitlyn woke up crying and wouldn’t stop, so off I went to find the wife. But as we waited outside the store for her to pay for the clothes, Caitlyn’s screams just got louder and louder and was beginning to draw a crowd, so I finally decided to head back to the car first.

Somewhere between me leaving the store and walking towards the parking lot, there was a bit of miscommunication and later, when the wife finally found us, she angrily asked why I hadn’t picked up my phone when she had called. I actually hadn’t heard the phone call, but because I wasn’t happy with the way she asked, I replied back, “I was carrying a crying baby and pushing the stroller. How could I pick up the phone? Isn’t that what your excuse always is when I ask why you never call or text back?”

That last line probably wasn’t the smartest move, but I have this real bad habit of taking the wife’s words and turning them on her, which really just irks the heck out of her. Therefore, she let me have it, by way of a night on the couch and an earful of not too delicately selected words.


And to add insult to injury, I had major diarrhea when we got home. At least she was considerate enough to let me have a blanket and the remote control to the air conditioner, albeit without batteries.

So much for putting the ‘happy’ in Happy Mother’s Day. This disaster ranks right up there with eating at Burger King for Christmas, but at least she wasn’t angry about that. At least I don’t think she was. Ok, she probably wasn’t too amused by it either.

 At least one person's happy on Mother's Day

 Rockin' the knee pads

 Doh! I dropped the picture of Mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment