January 10, 2012

Trying to Stay Sick-free

This past weekend, we went to IKEA. I should have known better. It was cold and rainy. Perfect weather for people to cram into small public spaces since outdoor activities are out of the question.

With flu season in full swing, this was trouble just waiting to happen. I figured most people would want to avoid crowds, especially people with babies or children, but IKEA was jammed with little ones running around.

Do that many people plan on remodeling their homes or are they simply there to enjoy the Swedish meatballs and have somewhere to listlessly wander around? We, for one, actually had business at IKEA since we’ll be moving to a new apartment within the month and were looking for furniture to buy.

To help shield the baby from all the microscopic germs that must have been flying around, the wife put the plastic covering on the stroller that we us when it’s raining. It must have looked a bit strange, walking around the store with a rain cover on the stroller, but like the boy in the plastic bubble, our baby in a plastic bubble was safe from harm.

Ever since the wife vowed to open up a floodgate of hurt upon my poor soul if I got sick again, I’ve become especially nervous around germs and sick people. I’ve actually been pretty good about taking care of my body. I routinely take my vitamin C tablets and dress warmly now, putting on long-sleeve shirts and a jacket instead of wandering around with only a T-shirt on.

The other day when a co-worker that sits next to me kept sniffling and stated that he felt like he was getting a fever, I rushed down to the convenience store and started popping cough drops like a mad man and tried my best to inhale only once every minute while around him. This must have helped because I’m sitting here now, still healthy and happy.


I’m slowly counting the days when the weather will finally become warmer, when flu season is over, and when I can finally breathe a sigh of relief that I made it through this winter without feeling the wrath of the wife.

Chillin' at Grandma's house

Bored expression
Who are you FaceTiming with?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment