December 14, 2011

Stay-at-home Dad

This past weekend, I had the opportunity to take care of Caitlyn all by myself. On Saturday, Jessie went to spend the day at her mom’s while I stayed at home with the baby. While she was a bit concerned about how things would go, I wasn’t the least bit worried.

The past couple times the wife has gone out and left me at home with the baby, Caitlyn has always performed relatively well for me. I think when she doesn’t sense Mommy around, I automatically become the go-to guy. Therefore, there’s no screaming or crying to be held by Mommy.

It was actually quite a relaxing day. The wife left after putting her down for a morning nap, and when the baby woke up, I played with her for a bit, read some stories to her, fed her, and then after about an hour and a half, put her down for another nap. I repeated this process again until I finally took Caitlyn to the mother-in-law’s for dinner.

When questioned on how things went, I said that we had a grand ol’ time. Piece of cake. No crying whatsoever. I repeat, no crying. Sure, maybe a bit of fussing here and there, but not the usual wailing that happens whenever the baby wants Mommy.

The wife remained skeptical and commented on how tired she thought I looked. Hah! Someone is completely in denial. Therefore, I convinced her to go get a haircut and do some shopping on Sunday to prove to her it wasn’t a fluke the first time.

Things went the same way they did on Saturday. Naptime. Playtime. Feeding time. Repeat. I could get used to these kinds of wife-free weekends. I didn’t shower for two days, didn’t change out of my pajamas, didn’t brush my teeth. Just lounged around with the baby and took care of household duties. In short, it was awesome.

But by no means am I saying that taking care of a baby is an easy job. The monotony and repetitiveness of it all can drive people crazy after a few days. I’m pretty I couldn’t do a whole straight week of this. The wife, bless her little heart, admirably does it every day. Plus, having no meaningful conversations with people except with a squealing baby made me feel out-of-touch with the world. It was a lonely, depressing feeling.

Now that I’ve walked a mile in her shoes, I think I’ve finally begun to really understand what the wife goes through on a daily basis. I need to show some more compassion when I come home from work and see her half-crazed and short on patience.

Therefore, I salute you for your dedication and hard work and solemnly promise to try and not annoy you so much anymore. 'Try' being the key word. Don't hate me if I fail. I'm only human.


All warm and cozy in her sleepsack

1 comment:

  1. I disagree. Being a homemaker is just boring, not hard, and the pay sucks. If my wife were a housewife, every time she complained I'd tell her, "Fine. Go get a job, and we'll hire a sitter." I would love to be stay-at-home-dad, but it is economically the most retarded decision I could ever make. Same for my wife.

    ReplyDelete