October 17, 2011

Problem Solved

What do you with a stack of diapers that are too small to use or don’t want? That’s a question I’ve pondered about for awhile now. We have two packs of preemie diapers that were given to us that are too small and a pack of diapers my mom bought, but don’t use because the material is too rough.

While the wife was still staying at the postpartum center, we tried to give away the preemie diapers, but no one had a baby small enough to need them. And I’m not going to give people diapers that I don’t even want to use myself. Therefore, we’ve been stuck with 180+ diapers for quite awhile now.

I refuse to throw them away because that would be a waste. I tried looking online for household uses for unused diapers, thinking people might have creative uses for them, but was quite disappointed when I couldn’t find any. People have come up with hundreds of uses for duct tape, but no one can come up with any uses for diapers besides putting them on a baby’s bottom? So sad.

Lately, the wife has been complaining about how the crib bumper doesn’t really protect the baby when she accidentally hits her head against the bars. She’s been wanting to buy a bumper that’s thicker and has more padding, but I’ve balked at the idea because of SIDS.

I specifically bought the crib bumper that we have because it’s breathable. And it’s a good thing I did because our baby loves bunching herself into a corner and pressing her face against the bars when she sleeps. But the problem remained that there still wasn’t much padding to protect the baby.

Finally, it dawned on me that I could use the diapers to wrap around the bars as padding. I wouldn’t even need tape to keep them up because there was already a sticky tab on the diaper to use. Sometimes I surprise even myself with my own brilliance.

After meticulously wrapping each bar with a diaper, I proudly show the wife my creation.


Jessie: What the hell is this?!
Me: I’ve managed to find a use for all our unwanted diapers! You know how you’re always worried about the baby hurting herself whenever she hits the bars? Well, I wrapped each bar with two diapers so that it provides some padding. Nifty, eh?
Jessie: It’s ugly.
Me: What’s more important, fashion or safety?
Jessie: ……
Me: Yea, that’s what I thought. Self high-five! (smack)

No padding = Grumpy baby
Double-stacked diapers = Double the protection


Head against the bars = No problem

No comments:

Post a Comment