April 27, 2012

Home Improvement

If you do a search on Amazon for “wall stickers,” under the department, Tools and Home Improvement, there are 518,959 results. I was determined to go through each page and look at every design and had gotten up to around 6,000 when my co-worker finally made me stop.

Perhaps he had grown tired of seeing me look at page after page of wall stickers for a whole week or perhaps he had taken pity on my obsessive compulsive behavior. Either way, I’m glad I stopped because it was beginning to get a bit out of hand.

In the overall scheme of things, a measly wall sticker is probably the last thing one should worry about when remodeling a home. But to me, it’s extremely important. And it’s a job I take very, very seriously.


I probably care more about what Caitlyn’s room looks like than the rest of the apartment because as a child, I never had a cool room. I had four walls of plain white with no pictures or posters or stickers hanging up on the walls. It was boring and mundane, and I refuse to let my daughter go through that. I want her to have the dream room I never had. So maybe, I’m living vicariously through her now.

White trees, but with a blue wall
Change the tree to white and the wall, blue

After considerable deliberation and input from others, I’ve finally narrowed my choices down to two tree designs that I like. The room color that I’m currently considering is a light, ice blue color. I think having a tree that’s white will nicely offset the blue wall. I’d like the baby’s room to have a nature-like feel to it, which will hopefully help calm and soothe her. I also have some other arts and crafts ideas that I want to make to add some pizazz to the room. I'm thinking that an overall design that’s not too cartoony will allow her to grow into her room, not out of it. 

And of course, all my talk about what I want our daughter’s room to look like has caused a wave of disconcertment to wash over the wife. But true to her word, she has yet to impose her will on my ideas. At the very least, I can say that the room will be a bit more straightforward than say, a North European/country style.

Feed me and I'll be your friend
Come home earlier so you can play with me more often!
 
Look at the camera!
Give Uncle Kimi a high-five!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment